View Single Post

April 1st, 2012, 02:08
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Anymore smart remarks. I guess you didn't play The Arrivial DLC. Its sates that a destroyed Mass Effect gate will destroy an entire sector. Try again please.

What you saw in arrival was that hurling a huge asteroid at a tremendous speed at the functioning and unique Alpha relay broke its structure and the dark energy/mass effect core reaction of the relay with nothing to control it went into an all-consuming supernova-esque chain reaction big enough to wipe out an adjoining system.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vz5R5w_HfI#t=2m44

In ME3 you see the mass relays first directly transmitting a pulse/signal across the galaxy to their partner relays and it looks pretty much like the same signal/pulse the catalyst broadcast over earth. After sending the signal to another mass relay you then see the relay sending the signal in a radius that spans millions or even billions of systems. After the signal is sent the spirals stop and there no longer even seems to be a dark energy/mass effect core reaction left in the relay, you see different parts of the relay's structure falling apart and separately exploding/selfdestroying. It looks nothing like the all-consuming chain reaction from arrival.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd4xtCGc3Kc#t=21m45

The scale of the detonation of the alpha relay's core in arrival(a system) is microscopic next to the nearly billions of systems each relay's signal reaches. You see the people on earth unaffected by the signal broadcast by the citadel(unless you have zero EMS), you see the normandy getting hit/engulfed by the pulse/signal at full speed and not be destroyed by it.

A reasonable person would not assume that the signal is destructive in nature if the people on earth are not destroyed by it, a reasonable person would not assume the normandy could resist a supernova-esque explosion, a reasonable person would not assume that the nature of the pulse sent by the relays is anything like the destructive detonation you saw in arrival, a reasonable person would not assume that the mass relays are detonating their cores and destroying the universe when everything else tells them they're saving the galaxy.

A reasonable person would not have made these assumptions based on a poorly understood event from a critically-bashed piece of DLC made for a previous game by a separate team that might even contradict previously established lore of a relay withstanding a supernova explosion.

Then again a reasonable person wouldn't have assumed I hadn't even read the post I was replying to, much less not played arrival.
Last edited by KapitanUnterhosen; April 1st, 2012 at 06:34.

KapitanUnterhosen

Sentinel