View Single Post

April 5th, 2012, 17:02
Originally Posted by holeraw View Post
This kind of reminds me of that Simpsons episode where mr Burns demands to know Homer's name after catching him red-handed spray painting a huge graffiti reading "My name is Homer Simpson" on the wall of his office in a final desperate attempt to force his boss finally learn his name.
The amount of DFA backers should hint that there simply are more people that like adventure games than old school RPGs. This does not surprise me at all. Adventure game fans are a lot less vocal than any other and almost universally ignored. I assume one reason that made many, if not most, of the DFA backers to support that project was that they wanted to make their presence known. In any case I find it hard to believe that a genre that produces on average one commercial game every week is anything but popular.
I am not sure your "the writing is on the wall" comparison does my inquiry much justice. You say there are more old-school adventure gamers than old-school RPG gamers…that's possible. Double Fine might be much more popular than inXile too. But Wasteland is also a well-known and beloved intellectual property. The average contributor seems to have given more to the project than the average contributor to the Double Fine adventure, but still has less than half as many backers. I think it's more likely that it just isn't getting as much media attention — Double Fine was doing something new, maybe people perceive inXile as riding a popular trend while it lasts. I hope word gets out more before the kickstarter ends.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch