View Single Post

April 8th, 2012, 02:28
Originally Posted by JonNik View Post
That thing (GK110) is a power (and money) hungry monster.
That remains to be seen. The GTX 680 was surprisingly moderate in the power hunger department . The GK110 is going to be at the max of high end so it would be crazy to expect wonders but I think that there is a good chance that it won't consume more power than the -until recently top of the line- GTX 580. Given the expected performance boost of GK110 that would make for an impressive power/performance ratio.

The only interesting thing about it (to me) is that it will drive gtx680's price down(I hope), Dec would be great…
The latest rumors said September for the GK110. And I agree that it would be very wise to wait for any GTX 6xx upgrade until then.

What I don't like about the gtx680 (other than the price) is that the 2GB of memory may not be as future proof as I would like…
The current console gen will probably still be around until xmas 2013 or some time in 2014. There is no reason to expect a sudden increase in memory demand until then. 2GB will be just fine.

I personally favor an accelerated upgrade cycle with graphics cards anyway. I would never buy a $/€ 500 card and then hope it will last me a few years. I'm a firm believer in being better off by buying a second best card (like a GTX 570), keep it until the next gen, or the one after that at the very latest, then buy a new second best card, eBay the old card, rinse, repeat… that way you can be sure to always benefit from the latest technology improvements or updated DirectX support or whatever a new generation might bring with it and with the sale of the old card the investment for the new tech will always be moderate.

Moriendor

Spielkind