View Single Post

April 9th, 2012, 19:32
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
The problem is that Bioware hasn't figured out what to do with the IP. DAO worked quite well on PC but the tactical aspects were difficult to control on console. They can't leave it as a PC-first product but they haven't figured out what will work with both camps.

They could, of course, have two different approaches but Bioware hates not doing the most "efficient" thing when it comes to develoment.
This is one of the things that people seem to forget about DA:O. One of the bigger complaints about that game was the fact that the console versions had awkward controls. Its my guess that those complaints led to the more action-based focus of Dragon Age 2. Combat that is designed for a controller works on all platforms. Combat designed first and foremost for mouse and keyboard does not translate well to consoles. Games with a lot of tactics or RTS components really need to precision of a mouse; doing those actions using an analog stick would not be fun.

So far, they're trying to find a happy medium, but have not yet been successful.

Also, to be fair, the efficiency issue could be extended to most devs these days, at least any creating multiplat games. Off the top of my head I can't even think of many recent games that went out of their way to make the PC experience unique from the consoles.

dpc76

Watchdog