View Single Post

April 26th, 2012, 08:18
Originally Posted by Moriendor View Post
- No proper 16:10 support so you get a black screen on some cut scenes
Yeah I experienced those too, but some guys said that those are only for the first cinematic right after leaving the prison. I don't know personally, since I haven't gotten very far. I'm barely in Flotsam.
- Input lag - This is really terrible in my opinion. The game seems to react with about a one second delay to key presses -or sometimes flat out ignores key presses- and the character movement kind of feels like Geralt is on skates.
This is really weird. I've heard plenty of people complain about this, but the only time I got this was when I was using my old ATI 4870 card, when running in too graphics settings. I've recently upgraded to a nVidia GTX 560 Ti and the game flys with everything on max, except for Ubersampling and Cinematic Depth of Field. I'll touch on the DoF lower in the post, because it's a weird one.
- No way to customize the keymap from within the game
- Consolitis - You can tell and feel that the game was made with the idea of being controller friendly. A good interface this is not.
I personally never got the console feeling. And I love the combat system, way better than in TW1 imo. I'm playing on hard and I love how chanllenging it is.

- Lag during conversations. This is even worse than it sounds. The game runs at ~50fps for me with everything maxed out except UberSampling. On the dialogue screen, however, i.e. where you get to pick your reply or what you want to say, the frame rate drops to ~25fps causing severe mouse lag which is really bad if you happen to have a dialogue with a timer. You need to react very quickly and use the keyboard for picking a reply because you almost have no chance to be quick and accurate enough with the mouse.
I've had this issue in dialogues if I have the Cinematic Depth of Field setting on. And turning it off seems to fix the issue for me. And personally I saw no difference with it on or off.

- Terrible targeting - This is somewhat related to the laggy input and lack of responsiveness. It can be incredibly hard to pick up an item because the "hit box" of the item seems to be very small and Geralt moves awkwardly. So sometimes you run back and forth a few times, try a different angle and still can't focus whatever you want to pick up.
Agreed, I also sometimes target the wrong enemy. But it's just a slight annoyance for me.
- A larger font for some of the in-game text would have been nice or an option to adjust the font size.
Yeah, I wish that too. And for them to come up with a better solution for displaying recepies. I hate having to keep my cursor over some receipe or crafting diagram and wait until the bottom text scrolls up so I can see what ingredients I need. That's really annoying.

Ignoring these issues for a moment this game does have awesomeness written all over it. The characters are great, the dialogues and writing are top notch, the choices seem to be meaningful (that early in the game I ain't seen much consequences yet), the presentation is plain awesome in all regards from the cinematic conversations to the graphics, the atmosphere is at least as good as in good old Gothic because you have a very living, breathing world around you with believable NPCs who go about their daily (or nightly) business, you have NPCs huddled around campfires, drunk or sleeping guards, NPCs taking a piss near the walls (just like in Gothic 1 in the old camp), you name it… everything just oozes atmosphere and err… "epicness".

And then they have to go and fuck it up because they couldn't put together a decent 3rd person engine. Not fair *sigh*. Seriously, if this game had the same working, lag-free 3rd person gameplay as other 3rd person games like the Gothics or Risen or Divinity DKS then -as I said up above- 'RPG of the Decade' material. For me at least.

Finally, here's some screens to illustrate that nice atmosphere I was talking about:
Completly agree. It just reeks of awesomeness. And I love all the references to TW1. (I've imported my save) I especially liked the continuation of the quest where he tries to get his memory back.

Oh and the character faces are just beautiful. From Geralt, to Roche, to Zoltan, etc. They all just look very well done.

Oh and I was amazed at how beautiful the jungle/forest outside of Flotsam was. It was honestly one of the best forests I've seen in a game. So lush and filled with atmosphere.

danutz_plusplus

Keeper of the Watch