Thread: Paper Mario
View Single Post

April 30th, 2012, 13:19
Originally Posted by skavenhorde View Post
I have not one clue about this game other than the South Park RPG is supposedly going to have a combat system similar to it.
The combat in Paper Mario is very simple, yet has layers of depth. It's turn based; you make a move, and then the enemy makes a move. You can choose from a variety of things to do. You can hit the enemy with your hammer (if you can reach them; you can't hit flying enemies because you can't reach them), you can do some sort of jump attack on the enemy (which, like the hammer attack, has special unlockable moves that are timing based, like jumping on an enemy's head multiple times as long as you can keep the button presses timed), you can use an item, like a fire flower which damages all enemies with fire, or a POW block that causes turtle enemies to fall back on their shells while dealing damage. And you can only carry 10 items at a time, so you can't just stock up on a million fire flowers to breeze through combat. It requires a careful balance of attack items and healing items. You also have one party member that can be switched out with other members, but you only ever have a maximum of one person help you at a time. The party member has their own skills and attacks they can use, but no HP or stats. There's other quirks with the battle system, like Star Powers, which are special abilities that you unlock by finding the stars that grant them, etc. You'll have to play it to find out the rest. It's definitely a fun and engrossing battle system though, at least for me it is. I think it's quite good.

I didn't know that the South Park RPG was going to have a similar battle system. I am pretty interested in seeing how they pull that off. My interest in the South Park RPG just went up quite a bit.
Last edited by Fluent; May 1st, 2012 at 01:01.

Fluent

RPG Fiend
RPGWatch Team