View Single Post

May 5th, 2012, 12:24
Originally Posted by MasterKromm View Post
I'll always recommend DIY… But I can understand why some people might want a prebuilt.

That said, sticking with the link you posted, I would change the following components:

CPU: 3960X -> 3930K *subtract $539*. Basically the same chip except the 3960x is a higher binned chip, has a slightly higher stock clock and a little more cache(15 vs 12 mb). Long story short both chips are unlocked and the extra cache has a negligible effect on performance. Thus clock 3930k to same speed as 3960x and witness nearly identical performance for half the cost…

Ram: You could go with a cheaper 16gb solution… The digital storm branded A-data 2000mhz kit would give you roughly the same performance yet save you $175 to spend elsewhere. Ultimately memory is the one department you can safely skimp, as it has a minimal impact on performance… Also they hand test each dimm, if true that eliminates half the hassle(IE getting a bum stick).

PSU: 1000W digital storm -> Corsair 1200HX *add $128*. The corsair is a great unit, the OEM is flextronics, it has a 7 year warranty and it's gold which means up to 90% efficiency at 50% load. The digital storm is a big unknown, who is it's oem and what kind of warranty does it have? Also, it is only 80+ bronze which means 82% efficiency at 50% load.

Storage: I'd get 2x SSD's of your choosing in RAID0, either 120s or 180s… Next I'd get a 1 TB HDD for general storage/backup.

GPU: Depends on the display, if you're not going crazy with multiple monitors I'd suggest a single GPU solution(either 680 or 7970).

Optical: Bluray burner(why not have the capability?)

Monitor: no monitor.

Ok so if you change to the following:

CPU: 3930K
Ram: digital storm*aka adata* 2000mhz
PSU: Corsair AX1200
GPU: 680GTX
Storage: 2x Intel 120gb 520 SSDs + 1Tb WD caviar Black
Optical drive: Blu ray burner
Monitor: None

The grand total is $4106. Which leaves you more than $1100(compared to your original build) to buy a 27" 1440P or 30" 1600P or two really good 24" IPS panels from dell or elsewhere.
Wow - thanks so very much MK - sounds like great advice. I don't really know my way around hardware so really appreciate the build feedback a lot. I will look into all of your suggestions.

I especially am thankful for you looking at the options at DS as I will most likely go through them - so makes it easier for me to adjust things.

I don't want 2 monitors. I use 2 super large ones at work for 9 hours a day (I do IT work, software obviously, for a living). For gaming I just want to focus on one screen.

I don't use a lot of disk space but the configuration you suggested sounds like it works good. I was thinking SSD for storing the online games - thinking it might help load large textures faster and zones. I am trying to maximize my speeds in my favorite MMO's while keeping settings as ultra as possible.

I understand its a lot of cash I probably could save. But I got some "free" money that will cover about half the cost … and I always wanted to splurge on a very nice machine. I can't stress enough my lack of patience with hardware. I have upgraded memory, hard-drives, sound cards and video cards in the past and that's about it … and even that bugs me sometimes fiddling with all the small sensitive parts. I want a nice well tested, optimized, warranty covered (all parts as a whole not individual), no-hassle purchase.

I appreciate all the other advice folks as well.

PS - I know the GTX 690 4G is over priced … but I always seem to get last years card and I kinda want to get this one as it just came out this month and hopefully would be current for awhile. I don't want dual cards - my understanding is often are not utilized as well in games and sometimes have driver issues. Guess I would prefer a single power-house.

Character is centrality, the impossibility of being displaced or overset. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wolfgrimdark

Keeper of the Watch