View Single Post

May 12th, 2012, 03:43
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's still possible to be a "Jack of all Trades" with Alternative Balancing enabled.
Not necessarily wrong, but I´ve played the game with 1.73 or so (alternative balancing enabled) and I think I got a pretty good taste of most of what the game has to offer character development-wise during that one playthrough, but it was more on a gradual basis and via (sub)class switching of sorts.
IIRC, I´ve spent roughly 1/4 of playtime as hunter, 1/4 with 1 handed weapons + shield, 1/4 with two handed, 1/4 dual wielding + I was developing some of the other skill groups on the side (starting with thievery). I´ve also learned some lower level spells, used spell scrolls liberally and in the last 1/4 of the game or so I even got some fair fun with more advanced spells like fire rain (also via scrolls).
Playing a jack of all trades right from the start likely isn´t feasible with AB, but my character certainly felt like one during the second half of the game in terms of available gameplay variety.
At least with AB, developing a character who leans more strongly towards magic seemed like one either has to meta game quite a lot, suffer through the first half of the game (and Gothic 3 is fucking long), or both.

My character´s sheet before the end credits (though I suspect there´s some exp inflation, because I´ve likely taken the screen after going on a "reload-after-the end-rampage", I probably finished the game "proper" at about 3-5 levels lower):

Looking at the screen reminds me why I remember Gothic 3 as a game with the most engaging character development of all Piranha Bytes games .
Last edited by DeepO; May 12th, 2012 at 04:00.

DeepO

deep outside