View Single Post

May 13th, 2012, 05:22
Originally Posted by fadedc View Post
I think your focusing too much on your criticisms of Avernum and missing the point of what he is saying. He says it's a great game and recomends that people go out and buy it. I don't see how that's "knocking down others".

Personally I agree with him. You certainly can expand the formula, but that's not the point of what Grimlock does. Grimlock is about pure old school nostalgia and not expanding the formula. It's about recreating the games we played back in the day, warts and all. It works really well, but I don't think it really needs sequels that badly.
The fact that you can't be bothered to get the title right indicates your bias from the start. Of course sequels are a good idea. Was EOB2 really pointless? It added tons of features and expanded the gameplay of EOB1 a fair bit. Lands of Lore added even more. The genre was hardly stagnant when it died and since Grimrock doesn't even reach EOB1 levels of complexity, the franchise has plenty of places to go just remaking the complexity of the later dungeon crawlers. After that, well, the skies the limit.

darkling

Keeper of the Watch