View Single Post

May 23rd, 2012, 17:15
Honestly, I'm surprised both of you found SC2 mediocre. The single-player campaign (despite the terrible story), IMO, is the best in a classic RTS. I mean, honestly, what's the competition? The missions are fun and varied; there are difficulty settings for replayability; and there tends to be more to do than just "build base->destroy. Most classic RTSs have a series of "build base->destroy" missions, with one or two badly designed control-a-few-units missions. SC2 blows them out of the park.

On top of that, it has the best multiplayer of a classic RTS, the best mod tools, the largest and most active community, and is just pure polish. I'm sincerely confused how anyone could love Starcraft but hate its sequel.

Sure, there are downsides to SC2. The story is a fucking joke, as is its presentation. I actually liked SC1's story and universe, so that was a let down. Also, if you're sick of classic RTSs and prefer the new approaches (such as Dawn of War 2), I can see how SC2 seems overly conservative.

However, if you like classic RTSs, I don't even know what else you're playing. In any case, the modding capabilities and the single player are just leaps and bounds better than the competition, such as Dawn of War, the newer Command and Conquer games, and the Supreme Commander games.

killias2

Sentinel