View Single Post

May 23rd, 2012, 19:43
Originally Posted by borcanu View Post
how about storyline, music, pacing and atmosphere. I found all that gives immersion flat out mediocre. Might as well wait for torchlight if you want gameplay only.
Come on, they had commercials during NBA playoff matches, why are you so amazed with the sales.
I'm not taking blizzard off the list yet, I'm not a radical guy. But I doubt they'll make a good game when their focus is wrong.
Personally I think the music is good, though not on par with the original's stellar score. Pacing I also think is spot on so far (as mentioned, I am level 25 in Act II). You don't start getting shoulder equipment until like level 14 and amulets until something like 18, which felt odd, but the difficulty progression has felt just right to me. I also think the atmosphere is very good, right between the original and the sequel (balancing between the claustrophobic dungeon feel and the open world). There are other areas where I think the experience has been improved on quite a bit as well, such as companions and interaction with the world. It also feels like there is always something to spend your money on (whether it is crafting or socketing, buying new equipment from the auction house, etc.), so you never become too obscenely rich before needing to start building your cash stash over again.

I'd agree with the user above that a 8.5 seems about right. These reviews don't seem all that artificial to me. If you play Diablo 3 for the reasons that most people have played the series (action heavy, rpg light), I think it has come pretty close to hitting the nail on the head (as in to say Diablo remains the consummate ARPG experience). My biggest complaint would be the removal of skill points — skill trees is also a big one, but not as big as I have found that the rune system works fairly well.

rossrjensen

Keeper of the Watch