View Single Post

May 24th, 2012, 14:04
Originally Posted by drae View Post
Why do I get the impression that a lot of people think Blizzard's always online feature was included to prevent piracy? The always online feature in Diablo 3 was NOT included to stop piracy. It was implemented to protect their auction house cash cow by preventing item hacking and cheating (which was what ruined online play in Diablo 2). Blizzard couldn't care less about piracy and they've gone on record stating that fighting piracy with DRM is a losing battle.

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/starcra…ew-2380-2.html
They could have made Diablo 3 single player playable offline in that case…. either way what you mentioned is just another positive thing about their always online solution. Yes the technology needs to mature a bit still, but I am sure in the future all games will be like that. You're right that people will not put up with that kind of unmature technology from a unknown company, however when someone like blizzard who have the power do it, they'll get the ball running and technology like that will become more and more mature. On top of that you have the entire achievements, talk and brag to your friends, connection to forums and other online portal service, as a huge benefit.

Regarding the article, no matter what a company do marketing will try to make it look good.

Originally Posted by GothicGothicness View Post
Thank you Blizzard, those pirates kept crying about your DRM but they bought your game instead of pirating it anyway that does prove something!

Wrong, i didn't buy it
But are you a Diablo fan ?

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch