View Single Post

May 24th, 2012, 17:50
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
My very personal impression is that there are nowadays nothing but dark fantasy games out there. And meaning "dark" in a broader sense.

And i see that gmes that are "dark" in any sense just do sell very well. Like the Witcher series, for example, or Dragon Age - although that of course had been influenced by the "old school" approach as well But it was definitively "dark" and "mature"

I almost assume nowadays that one of the several reasons Draknsang 2 didn't sell was - that it just looked too "immature" to many gamers. Just not dark enough.
Gamers might believe that Drakensang 2 was just uncool. Too colourful, too immature, to much fairy-tale

And Bioware used their "mature" & "sex" thing very, very good as a marketing tool - at the expanse of other games that were not themed like this.

I even fear that they have mde a kind of "industry standard" regarding RPGs. For the next time.

And that even although I still believe that this "dark fantasy" theming in games is just a fashion in full swing right now.

This is my personal opinion.

I'm not sure that it would be true to say that CD Projekt Red or Bioware are responsible for the gritty, darker, mature trend in cRPGs. To be fair, those elements are very common in games of all genres these days, not to mention books, movies, TV, etc.

That said, I do personally enjoy games with a colorful, whimsical look to them. It's one of the reasons I still play MMOs. The gameplay may revolve around fetch quests, but I like the imaginative settings

I've yet to pick up Drakensang yet, though I've been eyeing it for awhile. Sounds like it has a few fans on this board

dpc76

Watchdog