View Single Post

May 24th, 2012, 22:57
You'll get no argument from me there. But that is at the heart of the nature of aRPG's. If you're the type of player that likes their game to be more on the traditional end of the RPG spectrum, aRPGs are going to seem too shallow for you to enjoy.

Me, I like them both. The key is that I appreciate them for what they are. I don't ask my aRPGs to have a lot of traditional elements to worry about (that gets in the way of the "a" part of an aRPG), and I don't ask my old school type RPGs to be too action-y. I think games get into trouble when they try to do too much, like being a great aRPG and a great traditional RPG at the same time. Or providing oodles and oodles of content that can't possibly stay interesting for all that time and just ends up being unfinish-able for folks that don't have oodles and oodles of time and patience to make it to the end. Like most things in life, when you try to do too much and lose focus, you usually fail. And that's why I think the typical Blizzard methodology of refinement over innovation has served them well with D3. They've resisted the temptation of trying to twist it into something it's not.
Last edited by chamr; May 24th, 2012 at 23:09.

chamr

Mounted Highborn