View Single Post

June 2nd, 2012, 02:17
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
A conversation on our forums made me realise Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox had ditched IndieGoGo and set up an entirely new campaign on Kickstarter - one that has already been successful ($14k of $6k raised, 8 days to go).
The new pitch takes an entirely different tone and is worth re-visiting, particularly if you looked at their IndieGoGo campaign. Here's the feature list:
More information.

"World is NOT randomly generated, but it IS infinite, so you can share what you find with friends"

I wonder how they accomplished it if it is indeed infinite. Or do they mean that every players' world/ is the same. I don't think you can can manually craft something infinite.

The same terms come up with some Elder Scrolls games were it is said some elements are randomly generated. And what is meant that they are only randomly generated once (using an algorithm during development) and after that initial random generation the consumers all get the same result.

Then there is ranom generation of worlds like in the Civ games or Minecraft where each time a new game is created the algorithm is used to create the landmass from scratch giving each random result a unique world.

handcrafted
randomly generated in development
randomly generated each time a new game is started

I think they used the second one because as I stated I can't see how you can handcraft an infinite thing, you'd be doing it forever.

Not a knock on the game, but sometimes terms get used for things with incredibly different meanings and this just gave me a chance to think about it.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel