View Single Post

June 10th, 2012, 18:15
Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
As the lines continue to blur between them, and PC gaming experience continues to deteriorate I may not be as upset as I have been to see the continual decline of PC gaming.
Personally, I go even that far that I see the PC platform as a - as I call it - "degenerated gaming platform".

Signs are :

- only very few major genres available
- lots and lots of franchises (read : games with the same brand name/setting/genre 1-5 times one after the other)
- very little risk in developing new themes/settings/genres is involved
- rather than creativity, evolution rules the development of games
- the evolutionary steps in gme development are very small
- everything is quite much streamlines (read : made to fit into an 2mass market")
- the "milking process" has begun

Creativity is something I rather see for consoles. Because the revenues are more safe there.

And it imho can be seen by just browsing through gaming magazines (printed ones) : If a few game settings/genres dominate the magazine, then this platform is dead, speaking from a creativity point of view.

Originally Posted by mhorton View Post
I think i'm just getting tired of the tech. I'm considering changing careers to be honest, except i'm probably too old. […] At home, I'd rather play a game than read about it on the net, or waste time troubleshooting like I was still at work.
Same here. And I almost assume these days that this might have something to do with the age.

I jut do not want to have to know how a PC works. I just want to plug in and have some fun.
The older I grow, the stronger this feeling becomes.

But still I'm on the PC platform, because any time I try, I have a very hard time with these controllers. I just can't use them - properly.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR