View Single Post

June 12th, 2012, 12:57
I knew about the Bioshock/System Shock thing, but I have to admit, I don't think they're going to bother a freeware game with no possible connection. My understanding of trademark etc law is that if I was using it *as* the Ultima trademark, or it had anything to do with the Ultima games whatsoever, then there would be an issue; but I'm not, it doesn't, and it's freeware so I'm not trying to make any money from it anyway. As the font of all knowledge Wikipedia puts it:

" Infringement may occur when one party, the "infringer", uses a trademark which is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark owned by another party, in relation to products or services which are identical or similar to the products or services which the registration covers."

I'm not using the term/name as a trademark; I think 'Ultima Ratio Regum' is quite distinct from 'Ultima VI' or whatever (and is entirely separate in meaning, being a complete phrase itself); and the products and services aren't really similar apart from being a game (and a free one at that!). Thanks for the suggestion, but there isn't a chance I'm going to change the name unless someone comes knocking at my door . As for Tiles, as I say, it's far from a priority - if people want to make a tileset, that's great, but I'm not going to. It's also made trickier by the fact some creatures are larger than a single tile (eg 2x2, 3x3, even 5x5) which would make a tileset that displays the entire creature rather trickier.

Ultima Ratio Regum

Traveler