Thread: Links and Stuff
View Single Post

June 15th, 2012, 08:29
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
I found this article worthwile to read : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism

Because it describes to some degree I call "Technicism", too.
Daniel Dennett on Scientism (first guy rambles on for about 5 minutes which is worth listening to since it's what DD responds to). Basically the scientism is a word invented by non-empirical groups to discredit those who value empiricism, a sort of ressentiment. To accuse someone of positivism is a similar behavior. When I encountered such labels they have commonly been used by students (not teachers) who spent most of their time studying humanities and some who study sociology, where as the phenomenon they describe actually existing is the huge question. From my own experience around the labels they seem to be most strongly rooted in building up the identity of those who belong in these fields to make their point of view feel more sophisticated and better. As someone who studied both the humanities, social sciences and psychology, the greatest value in the former are hermeneutics, they strengthen the capacity to interpret complex phenomenon and they can and should be proud over that capacity rather than invent unnecessary polarization with empirical fields.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine
Last edited by JemyM; June 15th, 2012 at 08:56.

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM