Thread: Links and Stuff
View Single Post

June 15th, 2012, 12:13
Personally, I interpret the word rather differently : Scientism is to me the belief in "Science" as if it was a new Religion, and furthermore the belief that everything that is proved by "Science" actually exists, and what can not be proved by "Science", that does not exist at all. Like Emotions, for example.

Like in this quote from the article :

E. F. Schumacher in his A Guide for the Perplexed criticized scientism as an impoverished world view confined solely to what can be counted, measured and weighed. "The architects of the modern worldview, notably Galileo and Descartes, assumed that those things that could be weighed, measured, and counted were more true than those that could not be quantified. If it couldn’t be counted, in other words, it didn’t count." [21]
This is why I interpret "Scientism" as a kind of anti-emotion, anti-human-perceptions movement, something which is for example pushed forward by "computer geeks", extremely put. Only Technology counts, and a rational mind. Therefore, Robots are often considered "the better humans". Which might increase the tendency towards developing "cyborg implants". Just look at the latest Deus Ex game.

The German-language article on Scientism is actually a bit longer and it touches more philosophical concerns rather than the English-language article, which appears to me to be ratherbiased towards current U.S. culture (Creationism vs. Science).

I have read about Mrs. Sherry Turkle a few days ago, and she seems to have had some interesting thoughts, according to the Wikipedia article describing her work : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherry_Turkle

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR