View Single Post

June 15th, 2012, 19:29
Originally Posted by Ubereil View Post
What he said is that pepole who's been properly raised aren't a danger to anyone, even if they have guns. Which means that pepole are a danger to others if they have access to guns even though they haven't been taught how to handle them.

Since the remark was an argument in favor of guns being legal I assume the logic is that since pepole are properly raised they won't cause any problems even though they have access to guns. I guestioned the wisdom of assuming pepole are properly raised.
Actually, that's not what he said, although your misinterpretation might be more a case of translation issues than sinister intent. The "raised properly" modifies "around guns" as opposed to modifying "children" as a general case. His point is that someone raised to respect the weapon and trained (even if informally) in its proper use is highly unlikely to commit wanton violence with it.

Originally Posted by Ubereil View Post
—snipped to the part directly addressed—
But if you want to bet on you being able to do a better job than you and the rest of society together then go ahead.

Übereil
I had planned a different response for the second half of your post, but I think I like the following better. It's a little more generalized, but I don't think it's too far into the weeds to distract from the thread topic.

I would certainly bet on "my approach" being better than "mine plus the rest of society" for the simple reason that nobody, nowhere, no how, will have my interests more closely held than me. Adding in outside influences must, by definition, move away from self interest, and therefore be a lesser solution.

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: Still afraid to hope / / Detroit Red Wings: Another rollercoaster season?

dteowner

Shoegazer