View Single Post

June 29th, 2012, 10:39
Originally Posted by Dhruin View Post
I have never, ever, ever felt that a cRPG offered the range of choices to roleplay a character with any fidelity worth talking about. At best, you get to play a character archetype, and occasionally choose dialogue that might approximate the character's outlook. Even then, that range of games is vanishingly small - Fallout 1,2, Arcanum, a handful of others.

Beyond that, we've ruled out many classic RPGs, action/RPGs, roguelikes, Grimrock, early Wizardry and Bard's Tale titles. I can't really separate titles like ToEE in practical terms, so I'm wondering if this is even worth calling a genre?

I get where you are coming from emotionally, CountChocula, but I think this is worthless in practical terms.
Yes, I have to say I completely agree.

That's why I prefer games like Skyrim - where my personal choice is about how I approach gameplay, and indeed - how I interact with the world and the environment.

I much prefer that kind of freedom, to picking between 2-4 written sentences - as if that could ever match what I really wanted to say - and especially who I wanted to be. In almost all RPGs - I end up in situations I would never have been in, as myself - because my personal opinion of how to do things is very, very different from that of almost all developers.

Picking dialogue options is just following a script that's slightly less tight than if those options weren't there. It's still very much a script - and that means I don't get to be who I want to be.

No, I want as many avenues of gameplay with as much freedom to purse them as possible. Having a rich dialogue tree on top of that is wonderful, but it will never constitute "roleplaying" for me.

As if roleplaying was just about dialogue or predefined choices.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential