View Single Post

June 29th, 2012, 19:45
Well but then your just talking about scale, and not any form of official rule. Certainly the choices in Diablo are more limited then in FO3, but there are much less limited then in games like Wizardry, Might and Magic, Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master. Chocola admits that he doesn't think that these are RPGs, so that's fine for his definition, but problematic on a board where many consider these the purest forms of RPGs. But at what point do you draw the line? What is "enough" choices. Really every game is very limited in what you can do, you get a few options and only if the programmers thinks to put them in. Sometimes in FO3 you can talk the evil thugs, but 90% of the time you can't and have to kill them.

Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
I don't think that's what he's claiming. He seems to be saying that Diablo is too limited to meet his criteria of a role-playing game. I'm not saying I agree with him, but I can understand where he's coming from. Diablo is pretty limited even for an action-RPG.

His reasons for exlcuding Diablo would not exclude every other crpg because not every crpg is as limited as Diablo. Yes, all crpgs are limited compared to P&P games for obvious reasons, but some are much more so than others.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch