View Single Post

July 5th, 2012, 20:51
Originally Posted by regomar View Post
This is a fantastic development! I have long decried the fact that our digital purchases were given special treatment taking away consumer rights. I see no reason that game/software publishers should get special rights that no other industry in the world enjoys that allow them to take away their customers' resale rights.

Most people that seem to have an issue with this ruling don't cite the ruling as a problem, but what publishers will do to try to get around it. Reminds me of back in the US when they a few years back passed banking regulations to keep greedy bankers in check and the banks scrambled beforehand to rip off as many people as they could and people (mindbogglingly) blamed the legislation for the bankers actions as if the bankers had no control over what they did. Whats with people blaming the law when the asshole is the corporations and banks that try to screw people?

Perhaps if they've gone this far with the law, they will interpret it properly and in a consumer friendly way to count subscription services as game purchases and the like. I sincerely doubt every company is going to go free to play to get around this and any company that does so I have no issues boycotting their products. Traditional non-subscription games will always be made.

Another argument I keep hearing is that iof we are allowed to trade/sell our used digital games, publishers will end sales and deep discounts because people will buy them and resell once the price goes back up. Well… what? Just like how there are never sales and deep discounts of physical goods where people have been buying low and selling high for hundreds of years? I really don't think people think through these positions they are taking.
Keep in mind, there is nothing in the ruling that says Steam and Origin have to suddenly make it technically possible to resell your licenses to third parties, even if the concept of reselling licenses is considered legal. Using cracks to disable your DRM or selling your Steam account is not suddenly legalized as a result of this ruling, as you promised not to do those things when you signed up for Steam.

Incidentally, you can already purchase games for trading on Steam during deep discount sales and then later trade them for other games or virtual items, you just can't trade games you've already played.

CountChocula

Keeper of the Watch