View Single Post

July 13th, 2012, 11:11
Reverse racism? I don't follow.

They're not exactly in the same boat, but racism follows from ignorance.

I'm not sure what you mean by becoming racist because other people live their lives in a way that's not familiar or desirable to you. I don't see the problem.

I think the first step to overcoming racism is to realise that there is no established right way to live or think. All human beings are essentially the same across races - and our culture/environment determines our differences, beyond the physical distinctions.

So, once you realise that your own culture and environment is one among thousands - and your own response to your culture and environment is one among billions - it follows logically that your "way" is not the only way. Something I consider so blatantly obvious that I have a hard time not responding negatively to people who don't understand this and want to tell others they're wrong in how they live. There is no choice involved in where you're born and the first years of your life are the most essential for shaping your mind and outlook - and we have no choice there either.

But there are cases when different cultures lead to conflict - and this will invariably lead to harm. A culture that can't co-exist without bringing harm to others is unacceptable from the mindset of the hedonistic utilitarian (someone like myself - though I dislike labels) - and as such, I think we must work at it constantly.

That's not racism, though. That's a pragmatic response to reality. Harm - unless it brings more combined benefit - is not acceptable.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential