View Single Post

July 14th, 2012, 14:25
I can rephrase if you like:
The less intelligent or educated an individual is the more likely he/she is to seek out and join a gang/cult/religion/whatever that form a close knit community who view outsiders or spesific groups of outsiders as something less then themselves.
I'm not sure what you're talking about. If we're talking about joining up with other people to get a sense of community - then it has absolutely no direct relationship with intelligence or education. Also, young people are especially prone to "recruitment" - and given the young age, they have only a limited education - and that goes for all young people. Intelligence is not a substitute for experience.

In some areas of the world, it's simply a means of survival - or a way of making a living that you wouldn't otherwise have.

As for looking down on others - I'd agree that it ties into ignorance, but not intelligence. I've met a lot of intelligent people who consider themselves superior for that reason alone. Again, intelligence is not knowledge or wisdom.

You also have a lot of people joining "cults" or obscure religions because they're emotionally unstable and they're seeking a way to get a sense of meaning and direction in life. This, too, can be a means of survival - and I would be careful blaming a lack of intelligence or education for it. Just like educated and intelligent people can become alcoholics or drug addicts - so can they become dependent on a social bond with people they enjoy being with - and the sense of community it can bring.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential