Thread: Dawnguard
View Single Post

July 19th, 2012, 21:32
Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
Anyone played dawnguard on xbox yet? Can you please hype it a bit…
Here are some bullet points:
Assuming everyone knows that Dawnguard is largely about Vampires, and that Skyrim has random world encounters … if not
Spoiler – Let the record reflect

• more system lockups after Dawnguard installed
  • bug where you cannot upgrade to an Alchemist lab in Breezehome (despite NPC repeatedly taking your 500g to do it, one will never 'spawn')
  • not a fan of the look of 'Dawnguard Armor' sets
  • huge fan of new mob types (quite challenging)
  • a lot of the Dawnguard destinations are beautiful: Castle Volkihar, Fort Dawnguard, Soul Cairn
  • most of the quest rewards in Dawnguard are NOT leveled
  • some cool new tomes for conjurers
  • the story itself, at least from the perspective of signing up to be a Vampire hunter … is unbelievably far-fetched
  • tried vampire lord, not my playstyle
  • tried werewolf and loved the leveling mechanic and perks unlocked in doing so

While I do not regret my purchase, due to the spoiler tag and list item 1 … I have uninstalled Dawnguard until I have a character of level to enjoy the challenge properly. If I was playing on less than Master difficulty, some of the negative bullet points above would likely go away.

I am having a difficult time coming up with a set-and-forget difficulty/game parameters due to destruction magic being underpowered, enchanting being overpowered and the difficulty slider making allies mitigate more damage on higher difficulty settings (thereby simplifying the game). I refuse to adjust the slider constantly as I did in Morrowind and Oblivion.

So far I have settled on a Breton Warrior who has promised to never take up enchanting (master difficulty)!
Last edited by wynams; July 19th, 2012 at 21:51.

wynams

Watchdog