View Single Post

July 26th, 2012, 14:05
Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
The models are very different. Steam is actually relying on prices being high most of the time, in order for high cut (60+%) sales to grab the consumer. Aldi keeps prices low across the board in general so the consumer feels they will get good value whenever they visit (and they have some smart thinking as well - most supermarkets in the UK pay almost nothing to the till attendants, Aldi, on the other hand, look for more highly skilled/experienced attendants and pay them better, but employ fewer of them and use them more efficiently).
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
Interestingly, Aldi has been blasted here in Denmark for doing the opposite. Of hiring the least skilled/experienced workers and paying them almost nothing, and treating them like shit.
UK is Aldi Süd and Denmark is Aldi Nord. Basically two different companies who work together on some fronts.

There might be a difference in how they pay/treat employees. But that might also be a difference per country since those often get their own leadership and policies.

Here in the Netherlands we have Aldi Nord's and even though I can't judge the quality or payment of the employees, efficienty is clearly a part of their philosofy; they don't bother to stack products they just open the boxes and put them into the racks; At the till there is very little space so as a customer you have to work quickly to put everything into the cart or you get a dirty look from the attendant.

Why am I talking about Aldi?!?

Actually, my PC's brand is often dubbed the Aldi brand since they also sell them to bring a small semblence of on-topic conversation.

Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
This suddenly reminds me of Aldi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

At one point I began to wonder : They sell food at the lowest possible price - an still they became the richest men in Germany ?

Is Steam trying to become a form of Aldi, too ?
As for low food prices, they get rich because farmers get nothing (basically true for any supermarket). It might seem cheap but what they ask for food is still a multitude of what the farmer gets and as a result that multitude is the profit they get to keep.

I hope the devs are not turning into farmers. Judging by the comments in the article it seems devs still get a fair share and actually profit from the sale so things are still good.

JuliusMagnus

Indulgent Wastrel