View Single Post

August 8th, 2012, 11:29
Originally Posted by guenthar View Post
He is getting the concept of grinding a little wrong. A task is only repetitive when it is exactly the same thing over and over again for a significant amount of time. When you play a game like Skyrim you won'[ be fighting the same enemy over and over again like you do in some other games (like mmorpgs) so you don't do the exact same thing over and over.
I'm not entirely sure I agree. In every TES game since Daggerfall I have greatly enjoyed spending part of my time playing the game in a situation where I take on the 'mundane' life of the character that I am playing. I stay at an inn, or my house, and I establish a daily routine that doesn't vary very much, but is simply me role playing my character - there is no purpose or ultimate goal I am trying to achieve by going through this repetitive type of session again and again, however I enjoy the inhabiting of my characters life for its own sake. I did the same in Ultima 7 now I think of it, and in fact, it's one of the defining characteristics of my favourite RPGs (not to have a whole game based on it, but simply be a good enough RPG that I can do it for a portion of the time if I want).

To me, grinding is something you don't actually like doing, but you do it in order to get or do something else.

kalniel

SasqWatch