View Single Post

August 9th, 2012, 07:00
Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
I'm not entirely sure I agree. In every TES game since Daggerfall I have greatly enjoyed spending part of my time playing the game in a situation where I take on the 'mundane' life of the character that I am playing. I stay at an inn, or my house, and I establish a daily routine that doesn't vary very much, but is simply me role playing my character - there is no purpose or ultimate goal I am trying to achieve by going through this repetitive type of session again and again, however I enjoy the inhabiting of my characters life for its own sake. I did the same in Ultima 7 now I think of it, and in fact, it's one of the defining characteristics of my favourite RPGs (not to have a whole game based on it, but simply be a good enough RPG that I can do it for a portion of the time if I want).

To me, grinding is something you don't actually like doing, but you do it in order to get or do something else.
I agree with you and when I was saying that I was talking about the authors concept of what grinding is being wrong. What makes a repetitive action a grind is the lack of choice. When you decide to take on a daily life in a game you are making a choice to do that and hen you don't want to do it anymore you can still continue the game.

guenthar

SasqWatch

Send a message via Skype™ to guenthar