View Single Post

August 18th, 2012, 01:01
I was going to post the following newsbit from Wikipedia in the TYDNTK (things you don't…) thread:

"Taylor Brook won the Lee Ettelson Composer's Award with a piece for violin accompanied only by a drone that is 14 cents flat of F♯"

But then I thought I should look it up on Youtube, and here it is: Vocalise, composed by Taylor Brook. And I liked it. It's something with the monotony of the drone versus the dynamics of the violin player. I'll definitely look for more compositions from this one.

A drone is "a harmonic or monophonic effect or accompaniment where a note or chord is continuously sounded throughout most or all of a piece". There is actually a subgenre of Heavy Metal, Drone Metal, characterizded by loooong pieces with sloooowly changing chords.

One of the leading drone metal bands is Sunn O))) (yepp, that's how it's spelled). Here's something from a concert in Berlin 2006.. And here is another piece, (secretely known as) Agartha from their 2009 album "Monoliths & Dimensions". For an interesting effect you might want to play both pieces simultanelously.

Well. I'm not at all into Drone Metal, I gave you two Sunn O))) pieces just to … eh ….. But a (not as dominating) drone combined with other things, like the Taylor Brook piece, that I can relate to.

pibbur who does listen to classical music, as long as it's not older than 112 years or so. And who has spent the evening watching the Pulse DVD by Pink Floyd with a friend.

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!AW!ML!uC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; August 18th, 2012 at 01:24.

pibbur who

Number 13