View Single Post

August 20th, 2012, 15:33
Originally Posted by Ubereil View Post
While that wasn't what I did, now that you mention it: the biggest problem with Hitler's views/ideology from a moral point of view was his hatred for those who don't fit in. And the biggest problem with Ayn's views/ideology from a moral point of view was her hatred for those who don't fit in. And both were pushing for a societal order that would completely screw over those pepole.
And how does that really differ from the ivory tower intellectual's (or nanny state supporter, for that matter) utter disdain for those that don't blindly worship their textbooks?

Allow me to give you an example. One of the guys I work with would charitably be described as "simple folk". He's most certainly not enlightened and couldn't find an ivory tower with a tourguide. In your world, he needs your help because clearly he's too stupid to make his own decisions. He needs your guidance because, being enlightened and supremely educated, you simply know better. On the shop floor, the guy has the hardest job, physically speaking, in the building because, quite honestly, he probably lacks the mental ability to progress much beyond it. Guy works his ass off, day in and day out. Weak mind and strong back, right? So, now that you've drawn your enlightened opinion, how would you feel if I told you that on the weekends the guy is one of the most respected farriers (I'll save you the trip to the bookshelf- that's a guy that shoes horses) in about 3 states in any direction from here? There are occasional bidding wars for his services between people with enough wealth to get whatever they want. Makes more money each weekend than you'll see in the next few months. The only reason he works at the factory is for the insurance, plus the fact that he just doesn't feel right "being idle".

So, still feeling superior? Do you really want to get into a war of accolades with him? Your enlightened lambskins against his real world accomplishments?
Originally Posted by Ubereil View Post
The immoral part was that she was wrong. She thought that she was right? Yeah, well, so did Hitler. And yet pepole don't have any problems writing him off as immoral.

*snip snip snip*

Her basic premise, as described by wikipedia, is two and a half A4-pages. And that's a summary. I gave you a really brief verision, along with two very brief counter arguments. If I am to go beyond that I have to read up more carefully on the theory, which isn't really something I want to do. There's quite a list of things I'd like to read up on, you see.
Quite amazing that you have the ability to determine something is categorically "wrong" while in the same post admitting that you don't know squat about it. Is that some jedi skill they give you in the ivory tower?

Sorry. No pearls of wisdom in this oyster.
Dallas Cowboys: *sigh* / / Detroit Red Wings: Took injuries to see them, but how about them youngsters!

dteowner

Shoegazer