View Single Post

August 22nd, 2012, 20:12
I see your point, but my point was just that most people haven't even gotten to the point of playing each character through and deciding their favorite class, let alone worrying about replaying it over and over. Now that may be just because the game isn't sufficiently fun/entertaining to play quite that much, which is another matter entirely. I enjoy the game, but I certainly have little interest in replaying it that many times.

Other then that, it can be hard to reach a consensus because people have vastly different definitions of what it means to play a game "exhaustively". I put in well over 100 hours in D3. To me that is exhaustive. It's way more then I put in almost any other non MMO (including vanilla D2). I suspect that you've played a similar amount of hours, but for you that's not exhaustive, it's short term. It's going to be hard for people to see eye to eye on it when they have such different expectations.

Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
You're right, you did. Sorry.

Not that I understand why that's relevant, as I'm talking about replaying favorite classes with multiple builds. I can assure you that a LOT of people did that in D2.

Inferno is another matter altogether, and you don't need to play it for max level. But Diablo 3 late-game is pretty bland in many ways, so I wouldn't use it as the standard for how many people reach max level in the genre.

Sure - a lot of people didn't play D2 exhaustively - but then again, a lot of people did.

The primary difference between the D3 design and the D2 design - is that in D3, there's no reason to ever come back and play the same class again.

That's what people did with D2. They maxed out a character and played for a month or two - and then put it aside. Much like they've done in D3.

But in D2 - there was a reason to come back and play your favorite classes again. In D3 - there isn't.

Not as of yet, anyway.

fadedc

Keeper of the Watch