View Single Post

August 24th, 2012, 20:01
Verdict fell today. Breivik (the killer) was judged to be sane, and was sentenced to 21 years in preventive detention. 21 year is the longest term possible under Norwegian law, but since he was sentenced to preventive detention, it can be prolonged 5 years at a time as long as he's still considered a danger to society. The prosecution won't appeal, and neither will Mr. Breivik. There's no guarantee he will remain behind bars for the rest of his life, but it's considered likely he will be kept in detention for several decades.

Most comments, including those from relatives and their lawyers are positive.

Our authorities will consider 2 important issues after this:

1. The role of forensic psychiatry, since two groups of psychiatrists came to different conclusions regarding his sanity

2. The level of punishment. We haven't encountered anything close to this before, and as a result there's no difference between the sentence you get for murdering 1 or 2 people under aggravating circumstances and brutally excecuting 77. We won't reintroduce the death penalty, and we won't adopt a system where he could have faced 77 lifetime sentences. I guess we'll land on something between 30 and 40 years for the really severe crimes. And focus will still be on rehab.

pibbur who thinks justice have been served.

EDIT: I have only commented on what is discussed regarding Norwegian penalty law and processes. In addition there are a lot of issues conserning how the police handled the situation, our handling of securtiy, how prepared we were (we weren't) and such. An evaluating committee has recendly released their report, and found a lot of things to critisize, but I choose not to go into that.

EDIT 2: I originally used the term "custody", the correct term seems to be detention og preventive detention.

d++a58e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++
Last edited by pibbur who; August 24th, 2012 at 20:49.

pibbur who

Number 13