View Single Post

August 25th, 2012, 11:59
I still believe he is completely sane - but that he "suffers" a complete distortion of his personal reality - we call it "loss of reality" in German language.

How far this can go was proved by a certain case reported by the recent press here : An elderly man had shot/killed a young wife because he believed that in the appartment above him illegal work/labour was taking place - constantly emenating noise and not allowing him to sleep. He REALLY believed that there was an illegal tiny factory in the appartment above him !

The reality was quite different. The noise just wasn't there, and the *real* noise he had killed her for was from huge luggage being pulled into the appartment and opened/handled by the husband who had come home from a (business ?) journey.

That's what I call "complete loss of reality" : signs are interpreted SO wrongly that they make the interpreting person appear to be insane - or, as Moriendor put it "completely bonkers". It is going towards Paranoia, I think (but I'm not at all an expert in Psychology).

Apart from this "loss of reality", a person can be completely sane.

By the way, an very extreme and rather creepy example of this "loss of reality" can be read by the story "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Mr. Edgar Allan Poe. You should read it through to see what I mean !

Apart from that, I believe as well, that Mr. B. should be in jail forever.
Someone with THAT big "loss of reality" shouldn't be allowed to walk through streets anymore !

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR