View Single Post

August 27th, 2012, 18:01
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
That link above takes pretty much the worst of the worst of the Texas Republican party and then presents it in an even worse light.
What they take is the official GOP 2012 platform for Texas. Is that the worst of the worst of the Texas Republican Party?

This isn't the RP as a whole as far as I concern. What Republican include differs from state to state. It's also not conservative but radical.

Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
I'm certainly no fan of the religious right's effect on politics and I think the Republican party in Texas is severely messed up, especially Governor Goodhair, but ultra-nationalist? Ehh, not quite.
It's not a label I use likely. I base it on the following description from wikipedia;
"Ultranationalism is a zealous nationalism that expresses extremist support for one's nationalist ideals. It is often characterized by authoritarianism, efforts toward reduction or stoppage of immigration, expulsion and or oppression of non-native populations or minorities within the nation or its territories, demagoguery of leadership, emotionalism, fomenting talk of presumed, real, or imagined enemies, predicating the existence of threats to the survival of the native, dominant or otherwise idealized national ethnicity or population group, instigation or extremist reaction to crack-down policies in law enforcement, efforts to limit international trade through tariffs, tight control over businesses and production, militarism, populism and propaganda. Prevalent ultranationalism typically leads to or is the result of conflict within a state, and or between states, and is identified as a condition of pre-war in national politics."

Like I said before, the ethnicity in question is the "Judeo-Christian values" that the platform claim the nation was founded upon. Counterintuitive it might seem, this shouldn't be confused with Christianity the religion, just like Positive-Christianity shouldn't be confused with Christianity. Nationalism often runs on a vague label to which the party have it's own ideas about what the label actually consist of, so disagreements to the leaders is interpreted as attacks upon the nation.

This is backed up with defense against mythical threats such as sharia law, getting a president who weren't born in the USA, the homosexual agenda etc. Finally taking control over education and expanding direct control over individuals lives and the bedroom makes the movement totalitarian.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM