View Single Post

August 27th, 2012, 18:44
Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
I'm aware it was linked there, but you draw your conclusions from the analysis they provided, not from the document itself.
Statements I repeated here are direct quotes from the document. I have not quoted statements I haven't been able to find directly.

Originally Posted by blatantninja View Post
Just because two things have something in common does not make them the same thing. You are taking the worst case scenario of one part of the Texas GOP platform and extrapolating that into Ultra-Nationalism. To say that is a reach doesn't do it justice.
It's like comparing cars. The color may vary and some of it's details, but in general they are based on a fairly similar setup. Extreme movements often have several of these in common, a strong identity, a perceived enemy of that identity, the wish to control the school system and the rejection of unwanted science. Communism under the Soviet Union had all of these, so did the Swedish state-feminism.

I know I make a stretch when I call it nationalism because nation is usually perceived as an ethnic group with shared history. I do this based on the book The Holy Reich: Nazi Conceptions of Christianity, 1919-1945 which is unfortunately a highly academic and difficult to read analysis of the blend between nationalism and Christianity as well as the development of a branch of Christianity tailored to fit the nazi-partys beliefs. Like I said, the US do not have a long history but this is one of the best examples of "our nation owns this land and we decide what our nation consists of" I have seen.

Mankind must put an end to war or war will put an end to mankind. - John F Kennedy
An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind. - Mahatma Gandhi
The world is my country. To do good is my religion. My mind is my own church. This simple creed is all we need to enjoy peace on earth. - Thomas Paine

JemyM

Okay, now roll sanity.

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM