View Single Post

September 1st, 2012, 23:41
… Now I'm really worried :

I was just finishing Delara's Part 1, as the PC froze. Completely froze. No key was able to wake it up again, nothing. I had to hard-reset it.

I was a bit suspicious, but not much.

I did the usual stuff after that : Repairs, ship buffs, selling, exchanging spells.
Nothing extraordinary on that part.

As I entered Delara's Graveyard, however, when I had almost reached the tomb, the PC froze again - no, it didn't really freeze : The while display began to flicker !

The flicker was exactly like the one before my former graphics card went kaputt.

And I had to restart the PC TWICE until I got a normal view.

I tried it once more, but then, the flicker even started in the loading screen before the own characters are displayed !

I immediately turned the whole PC off.

Background might be that I had to reset my settings several days ago. (Game didn't want to get back from windowed mode into full mode again, I don't know why).
Maybe I had put the grapühics settings too high again, I don't know.

A few months ago someone in the DDO forums claimed that DDO "destroyed his graphics card". No-one believed him, me included.

But now I've become suspicious. Can too high settings really destroy a graphics card ?
The problems with my former graphics card began within DDO. And you all witnessed it : It was within Redwillow's Ruins.

And now the same.

And both post-15. I mean, after Update 15.

I don't know what they did with DDO, but I'm *really* worried now. Maybe they silently assumed that everyone had a bigger card nowadays than I do ?

I think I must file a bug report there.

“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR