View Single Post

September 7th, 2012, 04:54
Originally Posted by GhanBuriGhan View Post

I looked at it on youtube just to see what all the hubub was about. I think the idea was actually rather funny, but… it seemed really poorly rehearsed. With proper timing and less stuttering it could have been a nice bit of political satire (if certainly not more than that), but as it was, I thought the delivery was severely lacking. Still, the media echo seems disproportionate.
That was actually part of the point: it was off the cuff; not rehearsed. It was a subtle jab at the need for teleprompters by Obama and Biden, but the execution proved to be a bit rambling. some people are taking it more than it was, but then, that's fair in a democracy.

I have another thought about this that I haven't seen brought up: it helped to serve Eastwood's own image for the flack he took over the Superbowl commercial. To some it seemed e was endorsing Obama for bailing out the auto industry.

It made sense for him to do this ad for Chrysler considering the movie Gran Torino was about the changing face of American society with the car and the auto-industry serving as a thread and a metaphor respectively.

The speech allowed him to set the record straight where his political ties are.

Its also the kind of thing that has been a truism in media since the 1980's if not (a lot) sooner: it seems more important that people are talking about you or your image than the content, good or bad.

The closest things I've heard so far to Eastwood's chair has been Michelle Obama's nails, Chris Christie's endorsement of himself in four years, Bill Clinton likes Barack now, or that Ann Romney is a good mom.

Developer of The Wizard's Grave Android game. Discussion Thread:
http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22520

Lucky Day

Daywatch