View Single Post

September 17th, 2012, 22:42
Originally Posted by sea View Post
Hi,

First of all, I'm Eric. I've been a member of the CRPG community for a long time and I'm happy for your comment, however, I don't think you understood the point of this article. And, frankly, your assumption that I'm not familiar with classic RPGs, and that I'm an ADHD "modern gamer" with no attention span could not be farther from the truth.

The RPGWatch news post suggests that this is a review. That is absolutely not the case. In fact, I'll be reviewing the game for GameBanshee once I've fully finished it (something most other sites have likely not managed by this point). I'd also like to point out that the quote selected for the news post is taken out of context and certainly does not cover the entire range of my discussion.
In principle any part we quote from an article is out of context, but in this case I do not think it is that much out of context. At least half of your article lists design choices related to the lack of guidance of the player in different parts of the game. Although some have their value, some in my opinion do not, like the part I quoted.
To me some parts of your article reads as if it was written from the perspective of a player who can't be bothered with reading the manual and wants to be told what to do. I found that out of sync with other parts of the article and your statement of being a long time RPG gamer.

I do agree with you that the term review is incorrect

Computer n. A machine which flawlessly performs the instructions it is given, no matter how flawed those instructions may be.

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Super Moderator
RPGWatch Team