View Single Post

September 18th, 2012, 00:28
I want old school/hardcore crpg principles with a modern interface
I guess one of the problems with defining "old school" is that there are almost no old-school games (with more primitive interfaces) that meet your criteria. Even a "new-school" player need only look at The CRPG Addict's blog to learn that there was no unified theory of classic RPG gameplay *at all*. (In fact, you can see that a lot of what is considered new and "evolved" today - like Action-RPGs - had their origin WAAAAAAAAAY way back when…). Sure, there are a couple of candidates that come pretty close, but they had their own flaws as well.

So really what it comes down to is… what sorts of things did (some of) the old classics do back then that we enjoyed that modern publishers are showing no intent to repeat? How can the indies bring those back?

As a side-note, we've had quite an influx of indie RPG developers releasing their first 'major' RPG lately (myself among them). We're all kinda re-learning the lessons of the past in our own way. I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when these same individuals are on their second or third game - after they've learned lessons "the hard way."

RampantCoyote

Sentinel