View Single Post

September 20th, 2012, 16:28
Originally Posted by DArtagnan View Post
I didn't say it sounded like it came from that era - but that it felt like very appropriate music for the setting of the game.

There's no such thing as a Steampunk era - and yet there's music that feels more fitting to that setting.

It's the same with the Victorian "feel" - and I think the Arcanum music fits incredibly well - at least with my vision of the Victorian era in a "steampunkian" fashion.
OK, fair enough. Perhaps a distinction is to be made between "fitting in terms of atmosphere" and "historically representative of an era".

Are you going to think I'm strange because I think the music from the movie 2001 is fitting as well
Of course not, why would I? C'mon, you are underestimating me.

It seems the Victorian era was specifically considered as well.
It is in the instrumentation, not the style. Although they could have gone perfectly with full orchestra as well, which is also a trademark of the 19th century. (And people would most likely still say it gives them a Victorian feel).

So, if the composer deliberately wanted to channel something of that era -
are you truly so shocked that people would find the music appropriate for that kind of feel?
No, "shocked" is not the correct word.

But I cannot help but think the following: People hear string quartet —> they associate it with classical music from an earlier century —> Arcanum is set in a Victorian setting —> Victorian setting coincides with the 19th century —> Consequently, the music must sound Victorian.

Perhaps I am wrong about how people make that connection but I have read so many times that the music sounds Victorian.

It is like hearing Bach played with electrical guitars and then saying it gives you a 70's Rock feel . Or hearing the Stones being played with a church organ and say it gives you a Baroque feel .
Last edited by Asdraguuhl; September 20th, 2012 at 17:31.

Asdraguuhl

Sentinel