View Single Post

September 24th, 2012, 17:24
Originally Posted by KasperFauerby View Post
You are *investing* in the project, because the developer has managed to convince you that they can deliver something cool, that you want to be a part of, and which cannot be funded by traditional means. In the case of game Kickstarter projects it has simply become the norm that you receive a copy of the game once (or rather *if*) it is completed. In some other types of Kickstarter projects you are simply giving the guys your money for whatever
Investing implies equity share and I haven't seen a Kickstarter yet promising business ownership as a reward. Your last sentence is a little more accurate, but if the project is successful, in most cases you receive something back (like a build of the project or, with games, a copy of the game). In that sense, I don't think it is bad to think of it as an extended preorder, contingent on the product being successfully completed. I think it would be more accurate to say it is contributing to something that you believe will turn out well.

As for Grimoire and Cleve, well I have never followed the development of Grimoire and it isn't my type of RPG anyway. It might have some success because of its online infamy. I won't pledge, as Cleve has personally assured me (something I am still waiting on), I will be burning in brimstone hellfire likely long before the game is released.

rossrjensen

Sentinel