View Single Post

October 2nd, 2012, 22:00
My reasons are pretty simple - while I think there's likely to be a lot of kickstartered projects that never produce anything of value, I believe Obsidian can pull it off and I really want to see them succeed because I love their games. I also think traditional RPG development, at least in North America, may depend upon finding alternative funding options — and, at the very least, having additional viable funding options helps make it possible to produce a greater variety of games, which is definitely good for gamers.

Project Eternity may already have met its initial funding goal (which was very modest, given the team's ambitions), but Obsidian will put any money it gets to good use, and the more raised, the more likely the finished product is something that has an impact and gets noticed in the gaming world.

So I thought about what I could do to help out in order to be able to donate more than I could otherwise afford. I guess I felt some responsibility to support traditional RPG gaming given how much enjoyment I've gotten out of it over the past 30 years, and having written about the genre in gaming publications for half that long.

I'm also at the point in my life where I have a lot of "collectibles" that I adore, but they're just sitting around being admired like art, and I know other collectors might appreciate them more - after all, I'm going to either hold on to them forever or get rid of them at some point, and this seemed like a good occasion to get some of these games in the hands of people who might still crave them, and raise some money for traditional RPG gaming at the same time (and clean out some living space for myself!)

I'm under no illusion that they going to raise a ton of cash - probably only the WoW CEs and one or two others will raise anything meaningful, and perhaps less than half will sell. So I've also committed to making at least a $500 donation anyway, regardless of how much this effort raises. There's also almost no chance that I'll ever try to sell any of these again, so this is the one chance people will have to nab 'em if they're interested .

Desslock

Watcher