View Single Post

October 3rd, 2012, 13:42
A friend convinced me to give a try to STO (star trek online) ten days ago.
First day I didn't like it at all. But I didn't let it go just so my friend doesn't get disappointed.

And now I'm playing it for 10 days in a row. It's not classic grinder, you don't have to PvP at all, story quests are separate from daily missions and random encounters you can "engage" or skip. There are also daily quests and hourly events with special bonuses.

The most obvious difference from classic grinders is that you're not attacked by something. Also missions (at least those I've seen) don't contain endless mobrespawns, space fights and ground fights spawn a predefined number of enemies (+1 for each player if you're not soloing but play co-op party/team with someone) once killed they're gone for good. I love it.

Also all missions that reward you with an item are repeatable. The catch is that the item you get as reward scales with your level. But also your enemies. So if you play a mission on level 5 you won't get a great/expensive/powerful item version as if you finish it on level 50.

It's FTP game but you'll probably opt to pay for more inventory (your own "pocket", the bank space and duty officers - now that's a special system I've seen nowhere else).

And I got hooked.

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor