View Single Post

October 4th, 2012, 20:48
I think the Adventurer's Hall is possibly the biggest RPG innovation that has been announced in this project. It's one of those things that makes so much sense, you start wondering why nobody ever tried it before.

In classic party-based games, there is always a pre-generated party, which all true RPG gamers quickly delete and never give another thought.

Eventually somebody had the bright idea that those pre-generated party members could be made part of the story, with their own quests, sub-plots, etc. That's all very grand in its own way, but there's something really enticing about making the exact party you want, with the exact blend of character types and skills. That has been lost for a long time, with Wasteland 2 being the only big project to fully embrace that concept again.

What the Adventurer's Hall is proposing is the best of both worlds. You can take your pick between the game's normal companions and all the content they offer, or go your own way. It's kind of like a classic party-based game with the pre-generated party again, except that you find those party members over time and they are part of the story.

I can easily see myself playing through once as a single character and pursuing all of the possible story content with my companions, and then doing another playthrough where I experiment with my own party that has a bunch of different class combinations that I'm still curious about.

Great update….

Fantasm

Watchdog