View Single Post

October 5th, 2012, 21:06
Let us not forget what Pardo actually stated, versus what people might be reading into…

Do you think that the big-budget single-player game is an endangered species at this point?

Rob Pardo: I do. I don't see there being a great business model for it these days. It's really sad, there's just a lot of elements out there that conspire to make those games difficult to make now. Between pirating or the ability for people to rent games, it's hard for publishers to pour millions and millions of dollars into a game and not necessarily see the return they need to make those budgets realistic.
……………

Originally Posted by redman5427 View Post
Kickstarter has pretty much proven it's not dying;what has been shown is companies are not listening to their customers regarding the RPG market.
While I share your optimism, I wouldn't go that far… Getting a game funded via kickstarter is one thing, delivering a finished product is another and finally whether or not said product is a commercial success is something else entirely.

The Tree of gaming needs to be refreshed with the blood of kickstarter/indie and AAA games. It is it's natural manure.

Let me just preface the following by stating that I feel cRPGs have a good chance of experiencing a renaissance. That said, I believe AAA games have encountered and exceeded(especially games outside of the scope of sports, sims, shooter and MP) what the market will bear in terms of total cost of production, marketing and distribution vs units sold and/or unit price. The kickstarter paradigm may die/lose appeal, but perhaps it will give rise to investors(IE private investors, venture capitalist, ect) who see the potential in small or midsize budget PC games. Then again self-publishing after testing the waters via kickstarter might be an option too…

Alrik, there can be no life without death… Let them kill off the bloated, inefficient, drm ridden AAA beast(s) they've created. If kickstarter has shown us anything it is that market forces -regardless of niche status- will always find a way to satisfy demand when/where it exists. It's no different from mainstream news/media dying off. Let them die and something will fill the void, after a few iterations it will invariably be better too.

MasterKromm

Sentinel