View Single Post

October 10th, 2012, 17:03
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
There is no "digital backup", if the game can ONLY be played through Steam ! That's an illusion !

If the game can ONLY be played through Steam, then the whole intallation process is a farce !
It is a backup. You can download the game whenever you prefer. If you only had the disk version and the disk is damaged, you will not be able to play the game (unless you make a physical backup youself). You can also use Steam's backup feature to put the game on your hard drive or on DVD.

The installation on the hrddisk only creates the illusion of "owning" and being able to play this game any time - which would be true within well-cabled towns, but not in more rural areas, for example. High within the Rocky Mountains ? I doubt so.
Share your view and I always prefer the disk version as I don't have a fast broadband line myself. Having said that, I am happy to activate the game once through Steam, and then play offline. Moreover, what stops you from using a 'fixed EXE' for a game that you bought and is on your hard drive, without the need for online/offline Steam?

Why buy a boxed game is the exact same game can be bought via Steam abnyway ? This doesn't even make sense to me anymore to wrap a big package around something that can be digitally downloaded as well
It does, retail versions are cheaper than Steam and I like the retail version myself (Steam or otherwise), which means there is a market for them for the same reason that you mentioned above due to absence of or poor internet lines.

SpoonFULL

Keeper of the Watch