View Single Post

October 18th, 2012, 14:12
I get attacked in another forum by saying that The Hobbit was originally a book for children. The attack consists on pointing out that Tolkien himself re-worked parts of the book, meanwhile he wrote on LOTR, to make it considerably less "childish".

I replied that perhaps any other children's book should be then turned into a dark & gritty, bloody and dirty spectation for adult cineasts ? - In this sense.

Mr. Jackson doing Momo - he would entirely concentrate on The Grey Men - expand and invent their story drastically, perhaps even invent dungeons full of blood, dirt, nightmares and torture, and let the book's main protagonists appear in only one or two scenes, that's how my "inner cynic" sees it.

In short : I really don't like everyone seemingly wanting a "Heavy Metal Hobbit" made out of it, so I'm out. I won't be watching this movie. It will be too dark for my tste, and I won't allow Mr. Jackson to destroy my "brain cinema" I had when I was reading the book.

- And, by the way, Mr. Jackson might indeed use portions seen in the anthology published by Christopher Tolkien for this movie. There's more thn enough in them, for example the background story of what happened with The One Ring after it was lost.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR