View Single Post

October 18th, 2012, 15:49
I understand your view.

In my mind, when I was reading the book, I knew the dangers were there - but they were described in a rather light-hearted fashion.

Remember in Return Of The King the scene where Frodo looks at he fallen king' statue, which was overgrown with flowers ? Now that's a thing I don't believe many people wold have kpt in mind. For me, this is one of the greatest scenes, one ith the gretest motion in it. As I was imagining this wole scene, with a last glimpse of the sun before it went don - just in time ! enlighning the fallen statue of that former King, meanwhile noticing that flowers had been growing around the fallen head, just o that they form a crude kind of crown - and just then ! - the sun vanishes behing "the west" - this is one of the greatest moments I had when reading the book.

But I don't think that man people have remembered this scene as well. They rather remember the action, the battles, the … I don't know what. Everything but this "crown".

And this i imho what makes Tolkien so great for me : His descrptive language - but not over-descriptive - his way of laying out (pun intended ) Middle-Earth … Parts of the stories read like travelling literature. His description of everything so it makes srnse, and the hint - the mre hint ! - to something far greater lying and looming in the background …

There is something that cannot be grasped visually. Authors do write something that's "alive" only in the reader's heads. "Head-cinema", as we call it in German language.

Let me try to explain it with the words of Sir Terry Pratchett, from his novel "Hogfather" :

"What would have happened if you hadn't saved him [the Hogfather, Discworld's version of Santa Clause] ?"
"The sun would not have risen."
"Really ? Then what would have happened, pray ?"
"A mere ball of flaming gas would have illuminated the world."

"All right, I'm not stupid. You say that humans need … fantasies to make life bearable."
"Really ? As if it was some kind of pink pill ?
No. Humans need fantasies to be human.
To be the place where the Falling Angel meets the Rising Ape."

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR