View Single Post

October 23rd, 2012, 10:41
Originally Posted by DeepO View Post
Exploration of BG1īs wilderness maps was quite often tedious and uneventful due to low amount of points of interest and slow walking speed.
I generally speed up everything 50% - which makes it much more bearable.

But without tweaks - BG1 is somewhat tedious overall, and I don't think the non-linear exploration is at fault. It's the slow pace in general.

I thought it was great, because it's completely optional - and you can just go back to the story or whatever quest at will. That's how it should work, in my opinion.

I don't think there's anything bad about their thoughts of providing less areas with more content - but the key is the balance. If it ends up feeling linear and limited - then more content won't save the non-linear appeal.

BG1 wasn't that huge or sprawling - so I'd be careful reducing the optional exploration areas too much.

Going by NWN2 and FO:NV - Obsidian tends to over-emphasize linear areas, but then again - that's just my personal opinion. I much preferred FO3 to FO:NV for exploration. NWN2 was huge and almost 100% linear - which was a big problem for me.

DArtagnan

Waste of potential